2015 – the year of doing
Today we’re bringing you a guest post from Spark Yoga! Their blog is often a source of inspiration for us, and as you think about what the upcoming year will mean to you, we thought this post about making it a year of DOING rung true. One way to do that? Put Spark’s stress management class on your radar, and read on and enjoy…
This time of year always finds me wallowing between bouts of trepidation and dread and soaring heights of excitement and joy. Don’t get me wrong. It certainly seems appropriate to kiss the past year goodbye (especially if it was a particularly sucky one) and celebrate (with great hope and anticipation) the arrival of a new year. Sadly for so many of those hello’s and goodbye’s, I spent this momentous time feeling compelled to decide what I wanted to “fix” about me, making a New Year’s Resolution… or two or three. Looking back now, I don’t even remember what any of those resolutions were, but I suspect that they always included an element of working out more and eating healthier… Step one to “fixing” me. I also suspect that those resolutions were long forgotten by February 1st — perhaps yet another thing I need to fix about me, another thing I need to add to my list of resolutions.
But 2014 has turned out to be an odd year for me, a profound year. I feel like I am finally ready to give up the fight, the fight to fix me. It was a long time coming. This fight to fix me, this battle has been waged for nearly my entire life… and I am exhausted. Now I yearn to embrace me AS I AM; to embrace this life I have now. So what does that mean for 2015?
I have decided that resolutions and the stress and self-loathing that they induce are out. 2015 will be the year of doing. Here are 10 things I want to do in 2015:
- Go on a yoga retreat to the southernmost tip of Portugal!
- Learn how to make my own kombucha.
- Do handstand in the middle of an open field.
- Watch the sunrise on the east coast and the sunset on the west coast — maybe not all in one day, but wouldn’t that be cool if it was!
- Take a flight with my husband as the pilot.
- Learn how to fly – in a wind tunnel.
- Hike the Appalachian Trail with my puppy.
- Sip a cafe con leche in Key West and count the days until I can visit Cuba.
- Visit Glacier National Park to show my husband where I grew up.
- Complete the 30 Day Challenge.
What’s on your list of 10 things you want to do in 2015?